It’s really more about whom we choose to follow, isn’t it?
- The impressive academic, research or clinical professional with lots of letters after their name…or the poet who faced down cancer and is quietly changing the world one insight at a time.
- The CEO of a huge company…or the five orphaned kids whose string quintet in their parents’ honor helps open new possibilities for at-risk kids and adults.
- The minister of a world-wide mega-church…or an almost-unknown nun whose simple advocacy made her a legend in her own lifetime.
- The decorated bureaucrat or the soldier finally returning to his family after too many deployments, often without one or more limbs.
- I want a leader who isn’t afraid to ask questions the experts think are foolish, and who doesn’t bash those who ask truly foolish questions.
- I want a leader who’s resume includes recovery from addiction, or cancer, or loss of a limb or two, and who has had real results since then.
- I want a leader who has survived being blown up, watched buddies die and inspires my will to end the wars that result in such violence, and I want a leader with the strength of will to defend and enforce peace.
- I want a leader who strongly defends my freedom to choose his or her leadership, and has compassion and grace for my friends who chose someone else.
- Most of all, I want to know that my leader didn’t result from a popularity contest or 10-best survey.